Skip to main content

Hands

I have been reading Darian Leader's latest book, 'Hands - what we do with them and why'. Psychoanalyst Leader reflects on the hand and how we have always kept them busy. He argues that our hands, through sensory touch and exploration, have helped evolve and shape the world around us. Looking at the history of civilisation and child development, Leader argues that our hands have a conscience of their own. But why and what might this reveal about ourselves?

I aim to explore our hands as tools to question and create, thus evolve us. Our hands have evolved us from the first-man and define us from animals. It is through the sensory nerves of our fingers that we explore and feel; through hand-writing, painting, sewing, our hands busy themselves as we reflect and express ourselves.

Taken into our connected era, our hands fidget with our smartphones as we wait for the bus. (Before smartphones it was newspapers, cigarettes etc). The device works on tap and swipe gestures but does not utilise the sensory nerves that we receive from more tactile actions. With our increased use of screen-based technologies, and decrease in hand-making activities, do we alter something in our humanity? Are we becoming less inventive and more complacent?



In 'The Thinking Hand' by architect, Juhani Pallasmaa, he states that "in our global networked culture that puts so much on the virtual and visual, the mind and body have become detached and ultimately disconnected. The role of the body in understanding the physical world and human condition has become neglected... Hand-tool Union and Eye-hand-mind fusion are essential for dexterity and how ultimately the body and the senses play a crucial role in memory and creative work.

I reflect on a conversation I had with my ten year old daughter's classmate when she came round for a play date. They had connected online to play Minecraft together on their iPads. I asked what she'd like to be when she grows up. She reeled the usual jobs that our education system churns out, a doctor or a vet, dentist etc. I know her to be a very creative person so I asked why not an inventor, a product designer. She said she'd considered it but then couldn't think of any products to invent because we have everything we need now. 

This interested me and I reflected on the generation I grew up in, where we were considerably poorer and less sophisticated in technology. We played with Lego, drew, played outside with imaginative role-playing, kept diaries. If we were really bored we played paper, scissors, stone with our hands. I can remember taking my toys apart to see how they worked, understanding it's mechanism by the way the cogs connected. 

We are unable to do that with our mobile devices; we don't question exactly how it works because it's as untangible as working out how the internet works. It is a non-physical thing that we just accept.

But as I have found in Tony Fry's Becoming Human by Design, the world has changed around us (climate change, huge global inequality, mass-migration), and we need to evolve again. He argues that to avoid defuturing ourselves, we need to become the 'humax'. We need to be inventive in ways that are futural.

I now have a good foundation for my writing. I have the What and the Why; my aim is to start writing these two parts of my thesis with the theory that I will then arrive at the How.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kids and iPads

So I have not long come back from a meeting with my daughter's teachers. She has not been happy and has had problems on-and-off with one girl in particular; a troubled girl who has been projecting her own unhappiness onto Cady. A recent spout in school had continued on iMessage as soon as the girls returned home. Texts in angry CAPS, back and forth. It got so heated and personal that Cady came to me in tears and I was made aware of the situation. I eventually rang the girl's mother; a warm, lovely and hardworking professional. She in turn rang the school to inform them of some concerning issues with the use of social media and text messaging. I hasten to add that our daughters are 9 years old. Yes I am responsible for giving my daughter access to the iPad. I tried to delay it for as long as possible but the majority of peers in her class had their own and I was repeatedly hounded. Initially she used it for games as I refused her an Instagram account until again, peer pressu

19th Century Slums - The Uncomfortable Parallels

BBC's Victorian Slums I've recently finished watching BBC's Victorian Slums, a 5-part 'reality' show where a group of 21st-century Brits move into a Victorian Work House,  painstakingly brought back to life in the heart of London's East End . The Work House was a place for those with little prospect of a living wage, or a sickness or disability that prevented them from working. Starting from the 1850's to the 1890's, each episode reflects political and industrial changes through each passing decade. The slum dwellers, made up of modern families, couples, single mothers, the disabled etc, experience Victorian hardship and insecurity first-hand, facing the grim reality of life for the urban poor and the truly squalor side of the industrial revolution. Watching the programme, there were some uncomfortable parallels within our modern society that I drew on. Work was on a temporary basis, much like our present 'zero-hour contracts', and fo

A Postgraduate Experience

A Part Timer's Story When I began the 'Design Futures' Masters course in September 2015, 18 years after graduating with the same title in my undergraduate studies, I had introduced myself with a big bang; sporting a mass of flaming red hair, ranting about the state of the world and how inhumane we've become in our digitally connective world. I had appeared mad as I ranted to what I now regard as mere rhetoric. But equally, I was ferociously passionate in my subject, adamant that I could solve the issues over the course of the Masters. How naive I must have seemed! I had only two months prior undergone a thyroidectomy, a last resort to a genetic disease that myself and my partner had coincidentally suffered from. Graves Disease, a largely unknown hyper-thyroid disorder, had reaped misery and darkness in our life's since our teenage years, and especially during each of my father and mother's passings in my 30's. Having battled through so much, leading up